AN INNOVATIVE EDGE GETS THE MEDIA BUZZING
In collaboration with Third Space Studio, we have worked to bring the Individual Donor Benchmark Report – a survey of individual donor data - to life. Over the course of the project, Report has evolved from simple graphs to a designed storytelling piece that serves a resource to fundraisers of small and medium-sized nonprofits. Coupled with a robust media relations strategy, the BC/DC Ideas team helped increase participation and gain national recognition of the project.
Three Years of Growth
|Measurement||Survey Participants||Media Placements||Report Downloads|
|IDB Project 2013||26||11||700|
|IDB Project 2014||87||17||1,400|
|IDB Project 2015||119||23||535|
|Total Growth||360% increase||109% increase||2,635 total downloads|
Objectives & Methods:
- Storytelling & Design: Experiment with innovative ways to present data as a useful tool for fundraising professionals.
- Engagement: Increase Report downloads and survey participation of organizations under $2 million.
- Awareness: Increase Report visibility and coverage by national and nonprofit-focused media outlets.
Building buzz through media resulted in growth, recognition and credibility for the Project. Consistent media relations contributed to year-over-year growth in media placements and nearly 400 percent growth in participation and usage of the report.
Project Highlights and Key Takeaways:
- Visual storytelling through smart design and infographics is critical to communicating data-driven topics in a public-facing forum.
- Identifying key influencers can result in increased website traffic, project engagement and credibility with other media outlets.
- Sharing consistent stories can cultivate ongoing relationships with the media and repeat placements.